Every year, International Women’s Day is celebrated around the world on March 8th. The last few years have arguably been some of the most tumultuous and empowering times for women in recent history, as we grapple with extreme challenges for women’s rights, and celebrate huge strides in women’s achievements.
Given these dramatic changes, perhaps it’s not surprising that this year’s theme is “#Balance for Better.” According to the International Women’s Day site, this theme’s focus is on creating a more gender-balanced world, a greater awareness of discrimination, and a celebration of women’s achievements.
Here are some articles and a video that highlight history, change, and action this year on International Women’s Day:
- International Women’s Day 2019: How the Day Began and Why the Fight for Women’s Rights is Still Necessary
- International Women’s Day: Six Stories You Should Read from Hidden Spy Cameras to Menstruating Women Banished to Huts
- International Women’s Day: From Days Off to Flowers, How Is it Celebrated Around the World?
- 7 Ways to Support Migrant Women & Girls on International Women’s Day 2019
- 20 Women’s Organizations to Donate to During Women’s History Month
Video from NobelPrize.org: “Women Who Changed the World”, which shows all the women around the world who have won the Nobel Prize.